former-coronation-street-star-craig-charles-and-family-‘lucky-to-be-alive’-after-christmas-house-fire

Former Coronation Street star Craig Charles and family ‘lucky to be alive’ after Christmas house fire

Craig Charles has said he and his family are ‘lucky to be alive’ after a fire at his home over Christmas.

The former Coronation Street star relived the horror on the Craig Charles early afternoon playlist on BBC 6 Music.

The awful news comes after Craig revealed earlier in December that his 32-year-old son Jack was seriously ill in hospital with coronavirus.

Tweeting a picture on Friday (December 31) of some burnt Christmas decorations and a lamp, Craig said: “My daughter Aj has managed to turn our house fire the other night into a work of art.

READ MORE: Holly Willoughby shares wish for ‘normality’ in ‘rollercoaster’ New Year message

“Still feel incredibly lucky.”

The Daily Star reports Criag telling BBC 6 Music listeners: “I’m actually going to share this because it has been on my mind while doing the show.

“Last night or early this morning my life got saved by a smoke alarm. In fact my whole family’s life got saved by a smoke alarm so be careful with your candles.

“What happened was…in my dream someone had left the fridge door open and when the fridge door is open for too long it starts beeping and that’s why I was kicking off in my dream.

“Then I heard one of my daughters shouting ‘Dad, Dad, the smoke alarm is going off’.

“We got up, we went down and we have like a garland above the mantlepiece of twigs and berries and holly and a candle, I think it’s probably me who should of blown the candle out, I’m not sure but I’m taking the blame anyway, had set fire to the garland which had set fire to the wallpaper on the fireplace.

“We’ve got this oval leather mirror and the leather had obviously been stretched over a plastic frame because the frame was blazing really hot. You couldn’t see anything. There was smoke everywhere.

“So we got buckets of water and put it all out but five more minutes and it would have really of taken hold.

“So the whole wall needs redoing. The ceiling is black with soot and the main front room of the house just smells of acrid plastic smoke so get yourself a smoke alarm and be careful with your candles.

Craig finished with: “I’m glad I got that off my chest. It has been on mind all day. It was so frightening. Well done to Nellie and AJ for raising the alarm.”

For all the latest news and gossip, click here to sign up to our newsletter