Rebekah Vardy has recalled the dramatic moment she confronted Coleen Rooney after being accused of leaking stories about her private life to the press. At the time of a viral post from Coleen in October 2019 Rebekah was holidaying in Dubai with her Leicester City footballer husband Jamie just months before welcoming their third child together.
Rebekah has been speaking out following the so-called Wagatha Christie libel trial after the judge ruled in Coleen’s favour last week. The wife of former Manchester United, Everton, and England footballing star Wayne Rooney publicly claimed Vardy’s account was the source behind three stories in The Sun newspaper featuring fake details she had posted on her private Instagram stories.
Rebekah denied leaking the stories to the media and sued for libel. On Friday, following a trial held at the High Court in London in May, Mrs Justice Steyn ruled in Rooney’s favour and dismissed the claim against her.
The judge described Rebekah’s evidence as “inconsistent, evasive and implausible” and found Coleen’s claim that she had leaked personal information about her was “substantially true.” Speaking on Talk TV for the first time since the case, Rebekah described receiving messages from home about Coleen’s now-famous “it’s … Rebekah Vardy’s account” post while getting ready to go to a beach bar with friends.
She told presenter Kate McCann she experienced: “Overwhelming dizziness fuzziness and disbelief.” And she said: “It was so traumatic I can’t really remember what happened then. All I remember is Jamie getting me out of there pretty quick because I thought I was going to pass out. It was the biggest adrenaline rush I’d ever experienced.”
After leaving the beach bar she says she received a message from Coleen reading ‘I tried to call you’ and tried to call her back but there was no answer. Rebekah said: “When I finally did speak to her I said ‘what on earth is this and what have you done?'” And she recalled: “She said ‘you know what this is’. I was devastated.”
Rebekah, 40, insisted in the interview “I didn’t do anything wrong. I didn’t do it”, saying she was ‘disappointed’ by the judge’s decision. She spoke about struggling with anxiety over the legal battle and at times had felt “I didn’t even want to be there anymore.” After the ruling Coleen, 36, said: “It was not a case I ever sought or wanted.”
- Gorka Marquez shares public response to fiancée Gemma Atkinson’s sizzling swimwear display amid body message
- Danny Miller reunites with ITV Emmerdale co-star as he steps out with Steph Jones for first time since tying the knot
- ITV Love Island’s Jacques O’Neill ignores Paige Thorne’s date to hit fair rides with former islander